Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Friday, August 22, 2008

The half-smoke turns 50!

Yesterday, the Post ran a story on the 50th anniversary of one of the biggest DC culinary landmarks—Ben's Chili Bowl.

It's kind of odd that DC only has one signature food item to its name, but even so, it picked a good one! Because a Philly cheese steak has nothing on a chili half-smoke from Ben's! Only once have I graced the indoors of that famous U Street establishment, but with the opening of a Ben's Chili Bowl stand at Nationals Park, the flavor of a Ben's chili half-smoke has forever been branded onto my subconscious (not to mention my taste buds!).

To celebrate the half-century of Ben's, there's a block party taking place on U Street this afternoon, as well as a party at the 9:30 Club. I'd kinda like to attend that block party, but instead I'll be at work. Oh, well. In theory, I can celebrate by a visit to Ben's this weekend. :) At which time I'll raise my half-smoke in honor of 50 years of excellent fare that has since become an integral part of our nation's capital.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger WFY said...

The half-smoke predates Ben's which is the primary purveyor of it. You can get them from carts downtown (not recommended) or from other places like Weenie Beenie.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home