Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Razzie winners are out!

Just in time for the Oscar ceremony tonight, the Golden Raspberry Foundation has released its list of winners for worst films of 2008. I make predictions for this like I do with the Oscars each year, so let's go down the list of winners and see how I fared with my picks.

Worst Picture: The Love Guru (picked it!)

Worst Actor: Mike Myers in The Love Guru (picked it!)

Worst Actress: Paris Hilton for The Hottie & The Nottie (picked it!)

Worst Supporting Actor: Pierce Brosnan for Mamma Mia! (I had picked Uwe Boll, since he seemed to be getting a lot of love from the Razzie folk)

Worst Supporting Actress: Paris Hilton for Repo: The Genetic Opera (picked it!)

Worst Screen Couple: Paris Hilton and either Christine Lakin or Joel David Moore for The Hottie & The Nottie (I had picked Uwe Boll and any combination thereto)

Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel: Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull (I had picked Star Wars: The Clone Wars)

Worst Director: Uwe Boll for 1968: Tunnel Rats, In The Name of The King: A Dungeon Siege Tale, and Postal (I had predicted a tie between Uwe Boll and M. Night Shyamalan, so maybe I'll give myself half a point here)

Worst Screenplay: Mike Myers and Graham Gordy for The Love Guru (I'd predicted M. Night Shyamalan for The Happening)

And let's not forget Uwe Boll's Worst Career Achievement award! Apparently this is the first award given in this category since 1987, when it was awarded to "Bruce", the shark from the Jaws sequels.

Which makes my score 4.5 out of 9. I have to say, I'm really saddened by the win for Indy 4. I know it wasn't on the level of Raiders, but be realistic: it's 20-some years later, and you're not going to capture the luster and magic of the first three films. Besides, it was light years better than (and nowhere near as pretentious as!) the Star Wars prequels.

In retrospect, I probably shouldn't be surprised by Pierce Brosnan's win. I had heard his singing in Mamma Mia! was atrocious, and apparently the Razzies agreed with that assessment. And while I'm pleased that Paris Hilton is again exposed as the talentless non-actress, spotlight hog, and utterly pointless media sensation that she is, I'm a little disappointed that The Happening didn't come away with a win or two here. Because The Happening easily has to be Shyamalan's worst film, and I think this should be a wake-up call to the director to revisit his filmography and assess just where he went wrong.

Well, now that we've crowned the worst films of the year, let us move onto the best films of the year! :) Less than 12 hours to Oscar time, baby!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home