Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Never rename Nationals Park!

During Tom Boswell's chat today, the idea of naming rights to Nationals Park came up, and it gave me the opportunity to speak my mind and seek out the thoughts of the man who's been the Nationals' biggest champion.
RE: Naming rights: Can't we just keep it as Nationals Park? It feels so much more unique and home-grown with that name, than say, AOL Park. How did that line on "The Simpsons" go? "Corporate sponsorship cheapens our national treasures."

Tom Boswell: The Lerners would like it to be Last-Bank-Left-Standing-in-America Park.

I'd like it to stay Nationals Park forever. In fact, if they ever get a sponsorship deal, I may keep calling it that and force my editors to change it!

"Nationals" and "Nats" are a good enough name for a team. Not wonderful. But "Nationals Park" is elegant.
I'm glad to hear that Boz agrees with me on this! I'd hate to see Nationals Park ever get renamed, because the current name feels so genuine and true.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger WFY said...

I can't get worked up over the name of the place -- I have just assumed it will someday have a corporate name though the way things are going now, maybe not. It isn't like they are renaming Yankee Stadium or Lambeau Field.

Chances are that if they rename it, 50% of people will still call it Nationals Park anyway.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Fritz said...

Consider me one of the 50% of those who'll always call it Nationals Park. :)

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home