Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Razzie nominations are out!

With all the buildup to yesterday's inauguration, I almost forgot about the Razzie and Oscar nominations being released (today and tomorrow, respectively)!

As I've stated in previous years, the Razzie Awards are kind of like a reverse Oscar, rewarding the worst films of the year rather than the best. I often get a kick out of these nominations, because some films truly are bad, and fully deserve being called out.

Anyway, onto the examination of this year's nominees!

Worst Picture: From this list, the only film I've seen is The Happening, and as much as I like M. Night Shyamalan's early films, The Happening was definitely not happening. I had been hoping for a comeback from Lady in the Water, but alas, this was not it.

Prediction: The Love Guru

Worst Actor: Again, from this list, I've only seen Mark Wahlberg in The Happening. Perennial favorite Eddie Murphy is back again with a nomination for Meet Dave, which is kinda saddening, because I still think he gets a bad rap from Hollywood. Al Pacino's nomination surprised me, actually, because I've always thought him to be a great actor. Though I haven't seen Righteous Kill yet, so I can't judge his performance.

Prediction: Mike Myers for The Love Guru

Worst Actress: See, now I'm very surprised that Zooey Deschanel didn't get a nomination for The Happening, because she looked completely lost throughout the whole film (not to mention bug-eyed!).

Prediction: Paris Hilton for The Hottie and the Nottie

Worst Supporting Actor: I haven't seen any of these films, though I've heard that Pierce Brosnan was a terrible singer in Mamma Mia! I'm actually a little surprised that James Cromwell wasn't nominated for W., because he struck me as being greatly miscast as Papa Bush.

Prediction: Uwe Boll, for reasons which will become obvious below

Worst Supporting Actress: Again, didn't see any of these films. Yet between Paris Hilton, Carmen Electra, and Jenny McCarthy, I can't help but notice a trend here!

Prediction: Paris Hilton for Repo

Worst Screen Couple: I'm surprised again that we didn't have a nomination from The Happening, for Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel.

Prediction: Uwe Boll & ANY Actor, Camera or Screenplay

Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel: I was actually disappointed to see Indy 4 listed as a nominee. Yes, it wasn't anywhere near the scale of Raiders, but it was still a fun movie experience!

Prediction: Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Worst Director: It looks like the list of directors almost perfectly matches up with the nominations for Worst Picture.

Prediction: I think this could possibly be a tie, between Uwe Boll for Postal and M. Night Shyamalan for The Happening

Worst Screenplay: Again, an almost exact match between Worst Picture and Worst Director nominees.

Prediction: M. Night Shyamalan for The Happening

Worst Career Achievement: There's only one nomination! And it's for Uwe Boll, who's being dubbed "Germany’s Answer to Ed Wood." Ouch!!! (Does that mean Tim Burton and Johnny Depp are going to make a movie about him, too?)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home