Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Another three years for JoePa

So despite all my hopes to the contrary, it looks like JoePa isn't going to retire at the end of this season after all (despite claiming for years that he'd only coach "for another five years"), because he's signed a contract to remain at the helm of the Nittany Lions for another three years.

I have to admit, I feel mixed.

Like 90% of all Penn Staters who bleed blue and white, I love JoePa and think he's a god among legends. But as I've said many times before, Joe ain't getting any younger—in both age and coaching style. In fact, he turns 82 years young in just four days! (The age jokes at Joe's expense already started long ago.) I can't help but feel that Joe's ego and sense of relevance were key factors in his decision. And Graham Spanier, despite having more sway with Penn State's high echelon than in previous years (especially when it comes to retaining Joe!), obviously doesn't want to be known as the man who fired JoePa.

So I guess the only thing I can do is hope he continues to have winning seasons, because when the time finally comes for JoePa to step down, I really want him to go out on top and not with a worn-out welcome.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger WFY said...

The old man is still getting it done. He went 11-1. You cannot ask for much more.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Fritz said...

You're right! But at the same time, I'm concerned about his legacy, because there's always the possibility that we could have a couple bad seasons after this one, which would really be bad for such a living legend like JoePa. I'm very much of the belief that he should go out while on top, whenever that may be.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the old man still getting it done? I'm not so sure. He may be the top man but remembering how is was against the option and the shotgun, are we so sure their success is due to his inventive ideas, or is it perhaps Bradly, et. al. who are finally getting their say? I don't know but I totally agree that the time to leave is while you (or your program) is a winner. Hopefully, since the decision has been made, I will be proven wrong. BUT sooner or later it will be someone else's program.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home