Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Monday, December 01, 2008

A brief brush with greatness

I've read a good number of Dean Koontz books over the years, and I'd say he occupies a good 25-30% of my bookshelf at home. Today he hosted a Washington Post chat, and was kind enough to answer one of the questions I submitted to him. (I think I submitted two.)
Arlington, VA: Mr. Koontz,

I've noticed that you seem to shy away from the spotlight and commercialization that's become so commonplace with many other writers of this generation. I'm thinking of Anne Rice and Stephen King as examples. Is there a particular reason for this, or do you just prefer your privacy (which I can greatly respect!)?

Dean Koontz: Some writers enjoy being public figures, God bless them, and I think they do a service to publishing by making the book seem more glamorous than it otherwise would. I may be the only writer on the bestseller list who has never done a national tour and who avoids as much TV as he can without annoying his publisher. I like radio interviews because some anonymity is preserved when your face isn't all over the tube. If I had my druthers, I would write and do NO publicity. For me, the joy is in the doing, in the creating, not in what comes next. Except for this event, of course, which I am enjoying IMMENSELY because we are all being so BRILLIANT here. Besides, I'm actually in Hawaii, and 346 monkeys are typing these answers.
His chat was filled with much of his trademark humor, and I can honestly say I enjoyed his chat. Not to mention being flattered that he answered my question!

This is actually the third time I was able to talk to a major figure in the entertainment industry on a Post chat. The other two times were with filmmakers Darren Aronofsky and Kevin Smith.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home