Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween music that I'm taking back

If you don't know it by now, I'm a big lover of classical music. And on this Halloween, I can't help but think about several pieces of music that have become so interconnected with Halloween that I fear their original essence has become lost. But like Randal in Clerks 2, I'm taking them back!

I personally like to distance myself from the televised, commercialized, bastardized versions of these pieces and listen to them as they were meant to be heard: full-length performances filled with glory and majesty, and not the chopped-up, badly-edited renditions we so often hear. The full-length performances have so much more to offer, I feel.

Seriously, try listening to these pieces in their entirety! I know they may feel commonplace with Halloween, but you might just discover something new in the process.

"Dance Macabre" by Camille Saint-Saens


"Night on Bald Mountain" by Modest Mussorgsky


In the Hall of the Mountain King (from the Peer Gynt Suite) by Edward Grieg

Tell me this one doesn't sound a tiny bit familiar!

"Piano Sonata No. 2 in B flat minor" (3rd movement) by Frederic Chopin

And last but not least . . . !

"Toccata and Fugue in D minor" by Johann Sebastian Bach

One day I want to hear this performed on a live organ. I can't even begin to imagine the enormity and profundity of the experience.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home