Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Friday, October 17, 2008

A choice of casting

Lately I've been bombarded with all the commercials and trailers for W., and despite my feelings for the current occupant of #1600, I somehow can't bring myself to watch the film.

But this morning it occurred to me: instead of Josh Brolin (who I will forever remember as Brand from The Goonies way back in the day), why didn't Oliver Stone cast Anthony Heald in the lead role of George W? I've felt for a number of years that Anthony Heald, whom we may remember as the principal Scott Gruber on Boston Public or as the slimy bastard Dr. Chilton in The Silence of the Lambs, bears a terrifying physical resemblance to George W! (Though his IMDb picture doesn't showcase that resemblance well.)

As to the casting of Papa Bush, I have a terrible feeling that James Cromwell was a major miscasting choice. This may sound trite, but James Cromwell looks absolutely nothing like Papa Bush (whereas all the other actors seem to have made respectable attempts to physically resemble their real-life counterparts; it's almost scary how well I can see the real-life Dick Cheney in Richard Dreyfuss!), and from the look of the trailers, the impression I get is that James Cromwell is doing his crusty-old-bastard routine to full effect, and that he was a father who had his son so beaten down that he left him scarred for life.

Maybe I'll feel different about Cromwell if and when I see W., but my first impression isn't very favorable.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home