Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving recap

Well, now that I've eaten my weight in turkey and finished up all the leftovers, I think I can finally sit down and loosen the belt at least one notch.

Suffice it to say, Thanksgiving was a great success! I spent the holiday up in PA with my family, and my mother made her first Thanksgiving meal since 2004 (we spent 2005 and 2006 at my grandfather's). I have to say, over the years I've grown a great appreciation for the efforts that go into cooking a full-on Thanksgiving feast: slaving so many hours over the stove, only to have to whole meal over and done with in 20 minutes . . . the great tragedy of cooking. But I have to say, nevertheless, the turkey was fabulous!

As was the apple pie. (And I can still hear my grandmother, one of the biggest bluffers of her time, faking worry about how she feared her apple pie would turn out. We knew damn well she was just fishing for comments.)

As a matter of fact, the entire feast was divine!

Over the holiday weekend, I was reminded of a sweet potato dish from a few Thanksgivings ago that's still being yearned for by a select few (myself included), but this year's potatoes were mashed—which I can easily live with, as it goes perfectly with the great helpings of turkey, stuffing, creamed corn, cranberry sauce, and bread.

A great kudos to my mother for serving up yet another fabulous Thanksgiving! (Though why my father doesn't buy a dishwasher I'll never know.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home