Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Friday, November 09, 2007

DVD stalemate

According to CEO of Sony, the DVD race between Blu-Ray and the competing HD-DVD have reached a stalemate. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing, primarily because I'm perfectly satisfied with regular DVD and don't want be, as a DVD consumer, forced to upgrade yet again (particularly since I own close to 100 DVDs).

Now I know that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players can play conventional DVDs in their players, but what concerns me is the day when a movie I want to own doesn't get released on conventional DVD, but rather released on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray only! That's what worries me as a DVD consumer, because then I'm forced to buy a new player that I didn't want (or need) in the first place.

I have to be honest, I find this whole format war very tiresome. While I enjoy movies a great deal, I don't find it essential to watch it in supersonic surround sound or razor-sharp image. I'm perfectly content with respectable sound and image that I can watch on any TV. In other words, my expectations aren't so high that I'm going to stop watching movies if I can't get sound so strong that my walls get blown out (think of that THX sound test at the beginning of most DVDs).

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger WFY said...

I'd still bet on HD-DVD

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home