Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Thursday, August 02, 2007

The day it all began

This is more of a sentimental anniversary than anything else, but it was 13 years ago today, at exactly 4:30 pm on Tuesday, August 2, 1994, that I began my first paying job.

At the ripe young age of 16, I officially entered the working world as a grocery store clerk at Kocher's IGA, the privately-owned local grocery store nestled in a tiny shopping plaza a mere two miles west of Elizabethville, PA.

I actually worked there for close to six years—spanning most of my high school era, as well as summers and Christmases home from college. My final stint there was a short week in March 2000, during a short Spring Break away from Penn State. After that, I never punched a timecard there again, as I began interning at Stackpole Books that following summer, and moved to DC two months later.

My time at Kocher's, while typical of the abysmal, minimum-wage, morally-downbeat, customer-service job that Kevin Smith glorified in Clerks, is still one I hold near and dear to me. I made many friends there, I have many happy memories from there . . . and my only regret is that I never had the chance to see the owner, Fred, without his toupee.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home