Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Oscar nominations have been announced, too!

On the heels of yesterday's announcement of Razzie nominees, this morning I listened to the live video feed of this year's Oscar nominations. It's always good to see Forest Whitaker on the stage and on the screen, and I can think of no better person to announce this year's crop of nominees.

Best Picture: I have to admit, I was a little surprised that The Dark Knight didn't get a Best Picture nod. I'm not necessarily bothered by it, mind you, but the buzz for it was definitely strong. And it still got eight nominations—no small task! Though I think Benjamin Button came away with something like 13 nominations (to include Best Picture), which is quite a wallop. And Frost/Nixon I'm just aching to see! Even though it'll likely lose to the emerging favorite, Slumdog Millionaire.

Prediction: Slumdog Millionaire

Best Director: Even though I'm fine with The Dark Knight not getting a Best Picture nod, I was hoping that director Christopher Nolan would get a Best Director nod. He's a bit overdue for one, I think. (I still think he and much of Memento got snubbed at the Oscars a number of years back.) I was also disappointed that Darren Aronofsky didn't receive a nomination for The Wrestler. Like Nolan, Aronofsky is definitely overdue for some Oscar consideration. Though I was quite delighted to see David Fincher finally get a nomination! He's proven himself to be a very capable filmmaker over the years, helming such great films as Se7en, Fight Club, and Zodiac. Ron Howard's kind of a no-brainer, even though I often go both ways with his films (some I love, some I hate).

Prediction: Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire

Best Actor: Frank Langella, Sean Penn, and Mickey Rourke all seemed like shoo-ins for a nomination. Brad Pitt was actually a surprise, as was Richard Jenkins. I had actually been wondering if Michael Sheen was going to get a companion nomination for Frost/Nixon, but alas, no.

Prediction: Mickey Rourke, even though I find myself cheering for Frank Langella right now

Best Actress: Now this category could become rather interesting, because we have some really serious contenders here! Kate Winslet is on her—what, sixth, seventh Oscar nomination now? Without a win, I might add? Though I had figured she'd get a nomination for Revolutionary Road rather than The Reader. Personally, I think she deserved an Oscar win for Little Children, though I think the award went to Helen Mirren that year. Now as to Meryl Streep? I know I've said this many times before, but I don't like her as an actress, even though she does look quite convincing in Doubt. I actually wasn't expecting Anne Hathaway's nomination, though Angelina Jolie's nomination for Changeling doesn't come as a surprise. (From what I'd heard, she was the saving grace of the picture.)

Prediction: I think it'll be a toss-up between Meryl Streep and Kate Winslet

Best Supporting Actor: All eyes of the world were looking a posthumous nomination for Heath Ledger, and they sure got it! On the anniversary of his death, no less! The real surprise to me was Robert Downey, Jr.'s nomination for Tropic Thunder. I haven't seen that film, and I had largely written off his role as a joke. Apparently it wasn't, though! Philip Seymour Hoffman continues to amaze us, though I had expected his nomination to be in the leading actor rather than supporting actor category.

Prediction: Heath Ledger becoming only the second posthumous Oscar winner in more than 30 years, and if anyone would score an upset in this category, it'd likely be Robert Downey, Jr.

Best Supporting Actress: I was quite happy to see Viola Davis get a nomination! I've liked her as an actress going all the way back to her short role as the social worker in Traffic, and to see her finally get the recognition she deserves is just wonderful. Though she'll likely have to duke it out with Amy Adams for the win, because Amy Adams is another fabulous actress in her own right. I actually wasn't expecting a nomination for Marisa Tomei, though I'd have to see The Wrestler to judge for myself the merits of her performance. I think with her it's a case of slowly earning my respect. Her Oscar win for My Cousin Vinny is still among the greatest whiskey-tango-foxtrot moments in Oscar history, though her next nomination for In the Bedroom was very well deserved.

Prediction: Amy Adams

Best Original Screenplay: This is a hard category to analyze, mostly because I haven't seen any of these films, but have instead heard of their strengths. Seeing WALL-E among the nominees was unexpected, though not so much for Milk or In Bruges.

Prediction: WALL-E

Best Adapted Screenplay: Here we have so many of the Best Picture nominees!

Prediction: Slumdog Millionaire

I personally think The Dark Knight will sweep up technical wins for Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Sound, Best Sound Editing, and Best Art Direction, though Hellboy II might have a fighting chance against it with Best Makeup. And I can see Best Visual Effects going to Benjamin Button.

WALL-E is simply a lock for winning Best Animated Feaure. Because if it's a Pixar film, you know damn well it's gonna win an Oscar.

And now comes the hard part . . . waiting one more month for the awards ceremony! And I fully intend to live-blog the ceremony once again, so stay tuned!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger WFY said...

If you go by Tom's gay martyr cinema theory, Sean Penn wins for Milk. Think of all the awards given out for protrayal of gay martyrs over the years. Tom Hanks for Philadelphia, Hillary Swank for Boys Don't Cry, etc. You could even make the arugment that Kevin Spacey was one for American Beauty

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home