Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Bitten by the Oscar bug

Well, it's finally happened: I've been bitten by the Oscar bug for this year. I think it finally hit me when I began browsing and commenting on IMDB's Oscar Buzz message board today. It also didn't help that I saw a news article about how the Oscar website has been revamped, and that it's only a little more than two weeks before this year's nominations are announced.

As always, I'll continue the tradition of live-blogging the Oscar ceremony, though I haven't seen many of the films that seem to be garnering a lot of the buzz. Valkyrie was the last film I saw in the theater, and I'm hoping to catch Frost/Nixon, The Wrestler, and Doubt in the coming days/weeks. I may also try to see Gran Torino, even though I hate how Clint Eastwood has become Oscar's golden boy in the last few years. (Forgive me, but Million Dollar Baby did not deserve Best Picture.)

And The Dark Knight? You know, I can't seem to figure out how that'll fit into this year's Oscars. Heath Ledger seems like a shoo-in for a Best Supporting Actor nomination, his death notwithstanding, and it would be nice if Gary Oldman received a nomination, too! As to whether the film will land a Best Picture nomination? That I still can't say. Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie! But if it gets a Best Picture nod, I kinda think it'll be due to its long blockbuster ride—much the same way Titanic was back in the day—rather than working from the story itself. Though I don't doubt it'll land a ton of technical nominations, like Best Sound, Cinematography, Art Direction. And maybe, maybe, nominations for Screenplay and Director.

But we shall see, won't we! And it won't be too much longer. :) As I say, only a little more than two weeks till nominations are announced!!!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home