Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Saturday, February 23, 2008

And the Razzie winners are . . .

I was surprised this afternoon to see the winners announced for the annual Razzie (Golden Raspberry) Awards. I had actually thought they were announced the day after the Oscars rather than before, but I'll take it either way. :)

I made predictions late last month on the winners, so let's see how well I fared in this year's contest. (Last year, I think I scored a bit better than half.)

Worst Picture: I Know Who Killed Me (I predicted Norbit)

Worst Actor: Eddie Murphy for Norbit (I predicted Cuba Gooding, Jr. for Daddy Day Camp)

Worst Actress: Lindsay Lohan for I Know Who Killed Me (picked it!)

Worst Supporting Actor: Eddie Murphy for Norbit (picked it!)

Worst Supporting Actress: Eddie Murphy for Norbit (Ooh, didn't see that one coming. I'd predicted Jessica Biel for I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry)

Worst Director: Chris Siverston for I Know Who Killed Me (picked it!)

Worst Screen Couple: Lindsay Lohan and Lindsay Lohan (picked it!)

Worst Remake or Rip-off: I Know Who Killed Me (I picked it!)

Worst Prequel or Sequel: Daddy Day Camp (Doh!!! I'd gone with Alien vs. Predator, mainly because classic-bad-guy vs. classic-bad-guy movies have become rather old.)

Worst Screenplay: Jeffrey Hammond for I Know Who Killed Me (I'd predicted Epic Movie)

Worst Excuse for a Horror Movie: I Know Who Killed Me (Again, I went for Alien vs. Predator)

So that's 5 out of 11. Good thing I'm not a gambling man!

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting such hate for Eddie Murphy. Lindsay Lohan, yes (and justifiably so), but I kinda think Hollywood has been a bit unfair towards Murphy. I agree, his acting choices of late have been rather questionable, but I still think he's proven himself to be a good and worthy actor. His choice of versatility in his roles stretches all the way back to Coming to America, which showcased him in quite a few eclectic roles (to say the least). Though I think his moving over to family movies during the '90s wasn't such a good move, because his comedic talents have thus been underutilized. Me, I still fondly remember Murphy from such films as 48 HRS., Beverly Hills Cop, The Golden Child, and even his most recent dramatic role in Dreamgirls, for which he was rightfully Oscar-nominated. My hope is that one day Eddie Murphy can one day overcome the stigma that Hollywood has branded him with, and at the same time, choose some roles that truly show how good an actor he is.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home