Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Monday, January 21, 2008

The Razzie nominations have been announced

At least there's one awards ceremony that isn't hanging on the outcome of the writers strike: the Golden Raspberry Awards, aka The Razzies, which celebrate the worst films of the year. I often get a kick out of these awards—not only because they provide a comedic counterpoint to the Oscars, but more often than not, they're accurate, because some movies are just so bad that they never should have been made in the first place (Godfather III, I'm looking in your direction!). And this year's acting nominations seem to focus all around the same people: Eddie Murphy, Lindsay Lohan, and Cuba Gooding, Jr.

Worst Picture: I must admit, I haven't seen any of these films, though I'm surprised by I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry. Well, maybe I shouldn't be surprised, because Adam Sandler seems to have been a Razzie favorite over the years. But Norbit and Daddy Day Camp don't necessarily surprise me.

Prediction: Norbit, since Eddie Murphy films seem to be a Razzie favorite, too.

Worst Actor: I think the only one that surprises me is Nicholas Cage's nomination. He's actually getting nominations for three films, one of which is the National Treasure sequel. I haven't actually seen that film yet, but it's rather good from what I hear. So I guess that's why I'm puzzled by Nick Cage getting razzed for that film (though I haven't seen Text or Ghost Rider, the other two films he's getting razzed for). As to Cuba Gooding, Jr. and Eddie Murphy, these two seem to be heavy Razzie favorites. I must admit, I often think Hollywood has been unfair to these guys, because I think they're both good actors—but at the same time, I have to question their choices of roles over the years, because I know these guys can do better. Frankly, I think films like Norbit, The Nutty Professor, and going all the way back to Coming to America show quite the opposite about Eddie Murphy—which is to say, I think it shows just how good an actor he is, because of the great variety of character roles he can jump into with surprising believability.

Prediction: Cuba Gooding, Jr. for Daddy Day Camp

Worst Actress: This lineup actually surprises me the most, because of two actresses who landed in this category: Diane Keaton and Elisa Cuthbert. I have enormous respect for Diane Keaton, and consider her one of the finest actresses of our time. I haven't seen Annie Hall yet, for which she won an Oscar, but her work on The Godfather Duet and Reds was nothing short of stunning. (Plus, she wasn't a bad-looking woman when she was younger, either!) So for someone like her to get razzed . . . it's just hard to fathom that she'd do a bad acting job, I guess. As for Elisa Cuthbert, again, I think she's a fine actress (and I'm sure Colby will agree with me when I say she ain't that bad-looking, either!), and I have a lot of respect for her. So again, it's hard to fathom her choosing a bad role. Jessica Alba and Lindsay Lohan, on the other hand . . . To be perfectly honest, I never thought Jessica Alba served much of a purpose in Hollywood, other than eye-candy. And Lindsay Lohan's nomination just speaks for itself.

Prediction: Lindsay Lohan, heavy favorite; though Diane Keaton might score an upset!

Worst Supporting Actor: We find Eddie Murphy in this lineup, too, along with Rob Schneider—who, I have to say, might need to strike out on his own again, because serving as Adam Sandler's bitch has run its course (which is to say, Rob Schneider has a bit role in damn near ever Adam Sandler movie, and it's just gotten old). Orlando Bloom scored a nomination for what I'm guessing is a spoof on the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie, which I honestly hadn't even been aware of. Jon Voight made it into the lineup as well, and he's another actor that surprises me to be here, because like Diane Keaton, Voight has shown his great acting abilities over the years to surprising effect. One of his nominations is for September Dawn, which is actually the opposite of what I had envisioned. When I had seen the trailers for that film a long time ago, Voight had actually struck me as being very strong and commanding. I guess some didn't agree with me.

Prediction: Eddie Murphy for Norbit

Worst Supporting Actress: Eddie Murphy made it into this category as well! Along with Jessica Biel. I guess the Razzies really dislike like Eddie Murphy more than I thought.

Prediction: Jessica Biel for I Now Pronouce You Chuck & Larry

Worst Screen Couple: The whole main cast of Chuck & Larry, along with an intriguing array of identical couples—i.e., Lindsay Lohan with Lindsay Lohan (her two characters paired up, I guess), and Eddie Murphy with Eddie Murphy (any of his own characters paired up).

Prediction: Lindsay Lohan with Lindsay Lohan

Worst Remake or Ripoff: Not having seen any of these nominated movies, I really can't say what's a genuine ripoff or not—though I do recognize some of the movies named as being ripped off.

Prediction: I Know Who Killed Me

Worst Prequel or Sequel: Now we get into the real nitty-gritty, for a couple of these I agree 100% with: Hannibal Rising (Silence of the Lambs was quite good, Hannibal was okay, and now the series needs to be laid to rest), Evan Almighty (strikes me as a vehicle for Steve Carrell, and not much else), and Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (in one word, why???).

Prediction: Aliens vs. Predator

Worst Director: Out of all these directors, only one name stands out: Fred Savage! The former Wonder Years star directed Daddy Day Care. I didn't even know he'd ever stepped behind the camera!!!

Prediction: Chris Siverston for I Know Who Killed Me

Worst Screenplay: A lot of the same nominations as the acting and picture awards, really.

Prediction: Epic Movie

Worst Excuse for a Horror Movie: Advertised as a new category, presumably because a lot of horror movies were released last year, many of these films garnered lots of other Razzie nominations, like I Know Who Killed Me, Hannibal, and AvP.

Prediction: Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem

If I remember correctly, the winners are announced the day after the Oscar ceremony, so we'll have to wait till then to see if my predictions hold up. Last year, I think I got 5 out of my 8 predictions. I wonder, too, if any of the actors/actresses will show up to receive their awards!!! Like Tom Green and Halle Berry did several years back.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elisha Cuthbert is the greatest actress in the history of the world. Who will ever forget that scene in Girl Next Door where she was standing in the window with nothing but a thong on. It was priceless. One of the greatest scenes in movie history.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home