Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Friday, August 24, 2007

Eastern Market finds a new home

I caught this on the news this morning, but nearly four months after the Eastern Market fire (can you believe it's already been four months???), the tenants from the south building are relocating across the street for the next two years. Since the fire, everyone's just been huddled up outside in little tents along 8th Street SE (reminding me in a lot of ways of the temporary bus station in Pentagon City after 9/11), but now they'll be moving inside a massive, reinforced tent that'll be equipped with many state-of-the-art facilities.

I have to say, the resilience of the Eastern Market tenants has inspired me greatly! I've managed to get down there a few times this summer (I even have a photos that I badly need to post on Flickr), and it's done my heart so much good to see the perseverance of everyone, their single determination to maintain the business of this local landmark.

I may be in the neighborhood of Eastern Market this weekend, so hopefully I'll get a chance to see this new, temporary home. I'm fully confident that it will be an adequate home for the duration of the renovation, but I nevertheless await that glorious day when we can step foot back inside Eastern Market and re-embrace this local landmark's heritage.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home