Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Monday, April 30, 2007

Eastern Market fire!

This morning I woke up to learn that there was a fire at DC's Eastern Market last night! Apparently it started out of a dumpster and caused significant damage to the south end of the market building. I saw some shots on TV, and from the exterior, the only damage I could see was the charred and warped southern roof, but I'm afraid to see what it looks like on the inside. I certainly hope that the interior damage isn't too terrible, and that the building can be fully restored.

Last night's fire actually breaks my heart, because Eastern Market has become a staple of DC culture, and I've always found it to be a very soothing and comforting place. Several weeks ago, I had a pancake breakfast there one Saturday morning, and I've often browsed their outdoor flea market. But hopefully Eastern Market will follow in the footsteps of The Capitol Lounge and The Vienna Inn (two other venues that suffered fire damage) and be back on its feet soon.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home