Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Are zebras on the endangered species list yet?

In my 28 years on this planet, I've seen quite a lot of Penn State football games. Out of all those games, today's season finale against Michigan State had to be the worst game I've ever seen.

How, I ask you how, can our offense fumble the ball 4 times in the first half? How is it that our quarterback, Anthony Morelli, could barely complete a single pass? Or for that matter, ever seem to find a receiver? I'm seriously of the opinion that his talents were wasted last year, despite whatever good points (literal and figurative) Michael Robinson could bring to the game. Morelli was an unstoppable powerhouse last year whenever we brought him in; this year he's been erratic and inconsistent, at best. His talents would have been better utilized last year, and I don't lay that square on Morelli's shoulders--I think it's also a bad coaching decision.

Which brings me to my next point. This is the second game that JoePa stayed up in the press booth for the game. It was quite different not seeing him pacing up and down the sidelines, or running across the field at the end of the game to greet the other team's coach and shake their hand (a true act of class), or shouting hair-raising obscenities at the refs for making bad calls--another point of contention, which I'll get to later. Getting back to Joe, I have to wonder if this is the last game we'll see him as head coach of the Nittany Lions. After getting accidentally caught up in that tackle at the Wisconsin game, I was hoping he was thinking, "Hey, maybe it's time to bow out gracefully." Time will tell on that point, but as a lifelong Penn State football fan who grew up watching Joe coach this team to glory--including the 4 years I spent as a student at Penn State--it's very painful seeing him become redundant, wearing out his welcome, destroying the wonderful legacy that he brought to the Penn State football program--and to himself as a living legend. I honestly wish he would have hung it up after the Orange Bowl win last year, for then he truly would have gone out on a high note. But again, time will tell.

Now, let's talk about the officiating today, because I think these refs were flown in specially from the state of Michigan (where Penn State has had a rough history with play-calling--cough cough, last year!). Now I counted at least 4 holding penalties that should have been called, along with 2 blocks in the back--all of them happening right in front of the ref's eyes, too! Now I must ask the age-old question here: "Are you guys blind or do you just need glasses?" (And if I really wanted to be a conspiracy theorist, I'd also add, "How much did the Wolverine staff pay you guys off?")

Despite all this, Penn State still won the day, 17-13. I went to this game with my father, and met up with several friends after the game for a post-game tailgate, where we had our customary bourbon toast to victory before diving into the beer dogs, hamburgers, and grilled stickies. I must confess a certain sadness with this football season now concluding, despite whatever bowl game we go to (at this rate, it ought to be the Charmin Toilet Bowl!), but at the same time, I know I'll be looking forward to the annual Blue/White Game come April.

So until then . . . WE ARE!!! PENN STATE!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home