Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

RIP Grandpa Hamme

A few days before I began blogging again (close to a month ago now), my grandfather passed away. It was a long way down for him, because he had been increasingly suffering from dementia since my grandmother died. Prior to his funeral, I last saw him at the end of August 2008, and for 90% of the visit, I'm not sure he even know who I was. Towards the end of the visit, though, I saw something in his eyes that suggested something clicked in his brain, a connection was made. And if he didn't recognize me finally, he at least knew that I was somebody very near and dear to him (I hate admitting this, but I was always his and my grandmother's favorite grandchild).

His passing saddened me greatly, for many reasons. Not the least of which is, he deserved better. Both he and my grandmother (who died in 2003) deserved to exit this world better than they did (both lingered for quite some time before they died).

And if there's one thing I wish I could have done with my grandfather again before he died, it was for the two of us to go on one more walk. When I was a child and would visit them, he and I would always go on long walks around their neighborhood. And that's the one thing I wish we could have done once moreā€”to go on a walk with my grandfather.

To his memory, I'd like to post this Frank Sinatra jingle. For whatever reason, it seems fitting.

Rest in peace, Grandpa. I miss both you and Grandma very much.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home