Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Verizon's Center's 10-year anniversary

Last night my father and I went to the Wizards-Raptors game, and unexpectedly got caught up in several celebrations. Mainly there were two: the 10th anniversary of the MCI Center Verizon Center, and the retiring of the #10 jersey, worn by Earl "The Pearl" Monroe.

There was a big halftime celebration for Earl the Pearl, and it included several video tributes, visits from former NBA stars from the 60s and 70s, and even a speech by Wizards owner Abe Pollin! Earl the Pearl naturally gave a speech to the fans, and he did a pretty good job (though did go on for a tad too long).

As part of the Verizon Center's celebrations, fans were given miniature Earl the Pearl jersey banners, as well as miniature ceramic arenas (with detachable roof).



If I hear true, the Verizon Center's 10-year anniversary is today! Which means that it was still a relatively new venue when I moved here in 2000. Kinda hard to believe (at least for me), because it doesn't feel like 7 years that I've been frequenting that arena for Caps and Wizards games.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home