Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Star Trek XI: So Very Tired . . .

According to IMDb, some casting ideas have been tossed about for the upcoming Star Trek prequel:
  • Captain James T. Kirk: Matt Damon
  • Mr. Spock: Adrien Brody
  • Dr. McCoy: Gary Sinise
  • Scotty: James McEvoy
Mind you, these are just ideas; nobody is firmly connected to the project at this point (at least that I'm aware of).

Truth be told, I really don't know what to thinkā€”and this is coming from a die-hard Trekker! I must grudgingly confess, I'm rather weary of an eleventh Star Trek feature film, because like so many other franchises, my fear is that it'll wear out its welcome among the fans, and suffer the same fate that Star Wars did: getting laughed off by even its most hardcore fans, decrying the director for failing to recreate the original magic (thankfully, though, Star Trek hasn't endured the humiliation of having the original movies recut to the Nth degree by the director).

In other words, the expectation would be too high for any future Star Trek movie. And call me defeatist if you will, but in my book, no one can replace William Shatner or Leonard Nimoy as Kirk and Spock. Don't get me wrong, I love Matt Damon and Gary Sinise as actors, but Shatner and Nimoy embedded Kirk and Spock firmly into the American subconscious, and to have anyone else try to fill their shoes would be an impossible task. In short, I just don't think Star Trek XI should happen, because I fear it won't be taken seriously.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home