Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Thursday, January 04, 2007

WGMS in limbo?

Okay, so now Dan Snyder is debating withdrawing his bid to buy classical station WGMS. While I would normally have felt great relief (even joy!) at this development, apparently WGMS has stated that if the Snyder deal falls through, that it may still drop the classical music format in favor of a sports-talk format.

I believe the proper phrasing is, "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?" Being the classical music fan that I am, I'm greatly confused at this development, because WGMS has been a great classical station, so my question is, why mess with a good thing?

In the meantime, WETA has given strong indications that it will return to the classical airwaves should WGMS ditch classical. This actually comes as a double-edged sword to me, because while that would still preserve the classical format for the Washington area, I always had one serious gripe about WETA: they only played classical during the day, and at night they ran NPR non-stop. So if I wanted to listen to classical music on WETA, I could only do it during the workday. Having said that, if WETA does come back to classical, I certainly hope they run classical during the day and night. For it kind of defeats the purpose to only cover it half the time.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home