Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Monday, January 29, 2007

A Guinness taste test

When it comes to beer, my father and I are loyal Guinness fans. He's been to Ireland a few times already, and has assured me that the Guinness I get here in the U.S. is nothing compared to the authentic Irish brew. This weekend I finally got to sample some actual, authentic, pure Irish Guinness—and special thanks to my friend Sam for bringing some back from his trip to Ireland last summer!

I can safely say that the Irish brew is noticeably different than the American brew . . . but the differences are so subtle and so hard to pinpoint that it's actually hard to give preference of one over the other. The Irish brew is just as dark, maybe a tiny bit thicker, with a slightly sweet taste that actually borders on being bitter. It's still just as smooth going down, though! And I think the Irish brew might have had a slightly higher alcoholic content, because I buzzed big time from it (though at the same time, I was also running on an empty stomach).

One day I'm sure I'll make it to Ireland to drink some Guinness in an actual Irish pub, but until that day comes, I can only make due with the wonderful Guinness I get here. I'm just glad for the opportunity to taste the genuine article beforehand, just to whet my appetite for the future.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home