Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Saturday, December 22, 2007

The bachelor couch has been retired!

Today marks the end of an era, as the bachelor couch has been retired from service!

The bachelor couch

For those unfamiliar with the bachelor couch's legacy, this was actually the first couch I ever owned, and it was given to me as a thank-you gift by my friend Wayne after assisting him in several moves (I think something like three). It earned the nickname "bachelor couch" because up to that point, it had been owned only by bachelors—and the proud tradition was thus being passed on to me.

This all took place in the late summer of 2002, and after five and a half years under my command (and associated bachelor activities that need not be discussed), it has now been replaced by a new couch.

New couch

This couch had previously belonged to Will and Erica, who today acquired a set of matching living room furniture for their condo. Will's plan was to donate their two current couches and love seat to The Salvation Army, but like Wayne, Will kindly offered me dibs on any of his outgoing furniture. Realizing that I was in need of a new couch, I accepted Will's generous offer and took the above-pictured couch.

Word of the bachelor couch's retirement spread fast—and to my surprise, it was heartily welcomed by many! My family never cared much for that couch, nor did several girlfriends. Will even went as far as to suggest tossing it in the incinerator! . . . I guess I was the only one who loved it.

Be that as it may, the bachelor couch has led a successful life, and its legend shall forever be honored. Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to give the new couch the nap test!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger WFY said...

We actually drove to the incinerator on Eisenhower Ave. after the Salvation Army said the bachelor couch was unworthy of poor people. Imagine how many kilowatts we could have generated by sending the bachelor couch to hell?

When we found out the incinerator was closed, visions of an Alice's Restaurant scenario, so with tears in our eyes we drove away. Who knew the incinerator was closed on the day before the day before Christmas Eve?

As for the new couch, it was purchased by my parents around 1984. It was earmarked for my brother, but I snaked him and moved it into my second Riverhouse apartment. We're glad it found a good home.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home