Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Harrisburg Senators: under new ownership

I almost missed this article from the Patriot News, but the Harrisburg Senators, the AA affiliate of the Washington Nationals, have been sold by the city of Harrisburg to an ownership group headed by Michael Reinsdorf, son of White Sox owner (and MLB bigwig) Jerry Reinsdorf. The team will still remain in Harrisburg, which I'm grateful for, though the sale may also include future renovations to Riverside Stadium Commerce Bank Park.

At the same time, this sale does and doesn't surprise me. I remember there being talk for so long about the city of Harrisburg possibly selling the team, possibly moving the team, possibly changing affiliations from the Nats to the Orioles (I can remember when they were affiliated with the Pirates way back in the day!), etc. But as long as the team stays there on City Island, I'm happy. For I have fond memories of the Senators from my upbringing. I think I started going there in 1987, not long after the ballpark opened up there—and back when the general admission seats consisted of wooden bleachers.

But even back then, the mayflies were firmly in charge.

One of the most interesting points about having a minor league ballpark on a small island in the middle of a river is its wildlife draw—which is to say, once the sun went down and the field lights went on, mayflies would be swarming by the thousands around each set of lights. They never bit, but sometimes you'd honestly need an umbrella just to keep the dead ones from dropping onto you.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger WFY said...

It will be interesting to see if Harrisburg builds a new park and goes AAA. I think the Orioles would be quite eager to gobble that up. Then, the Nats could align with Norfolk which would make a lot of sense for them.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home