Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Monday, April 02, 2007

Opening day recap

Well, it's official: spring has sprung, and baseball season has begun!!! (And no, despite the rhyming scheme, I'm not a poet.) The Nats fell to the Marlins, 9-2, but despite the loss, it was nevertheless an fun and exciting afternoon—starting with a pre-game tailgate hosted by MissChatter.

A few quick highlights:

  • The weather was unbelievably beautiful for Opening Day!!! It easily made it up to 80 degrees, and the sun shined brightly for much of the day. A cool, refreshing breeze every so often made it the perfect baseball weather, too.
  • Adrian Fenty did, in fact, throw out one of the first pitches! Because of this, I must now live up to my claim that I will forgive his earlier opposition to the Southeast ballpark deal.
  • Baseball fans came out in droves to fill RFK. Though attendance was never, in fact, announced! But I'm willing to bet it was well over 40,000.
  • Teddy Roosevelt made a remarkable entrance into the President's Race by repelling down from the roof of RFK (right above where I was sitting, in fact!) straight to the finish line—but he didn't quite make it, and was disqualified for his efforts.
  • Center fielder Nook Logan made a remarkable catch in the 4th inning to prevent a Marlins home run, but hurt his foot and had to leave the game early.
  • Pitcher John Patterson had a somewhat decent start, but only lasted 4 innings. Pitching is something we'll clearly need to work on this year.
  • Lines at the concessions were surprisingly long (I think Will waited an hour just to get the hot dogs), and I'm willing to bet there'll be a lot of complaints about the slowness of food service. And while I didn't make it down to the food court above the main entrance, there's a rumor that Hard Times has been replaced by a hot dog vendor, which saddens me because I loved eating the chili nachos from Hard Times last season. I'll have to go down there soon to see if Cluck-U Chicken Cluck University is still there, too.

With that, we now begin season 3 of the Nationals! I'm not entirely disheartened by the Opening Day loss (though I was hoping for a few more runs from the Nats to make the loss a little more bearable), but as Will so aptly stated when we took our seats, "It's good to be home."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home