Fritz's World

An exciting and awe-inspiring glimpse into my life: movie reviews (which are replete with spoilers), Penn State football, Washington Nationals, and life here in the nation's capital. Can you handle it?

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sports dizziness

Last night I made it to my second Nats game of the season, but it came at a rather awkward time. I say awkward because, on Opening Day, it was close to 80 degrees and sunny. The following Saturday, I walked outside in the morning to find snow flurries on the ground! Ever since then, it's been unseasonably cool, and the last few Nats games I've seen on TV (home games, I mean) have showed players wrapped up in warmer clothes underneath their uniforms. Add to this the fact that, in Cleveland, they couldn't make the opening game official because it was snowing too hard, and I find myself asking, "Are you sure this is baseball season?" Normally I'd associate long, sunny, warm evenings with baseball—not bundled up against the freezing cold. I usually associate that with football.

Speaking of which, this weekend I am going to a football game at Penn State! So now that we're totally confused by juggling two sports with mismanaged weather, I think at this point it would be appropriate for Abbott and Costello to step in.



Last night's weather wasn't too bad, though, staying somewhere in the high 40s and low 50s for much of the game (though it got noticeably chillier as the evening progressed). The Nats pulled out a 13th-inning victory over the Phillies, with a score of 5-4. I didn't stay for the whole game (I left after the 9th), but Will and I managed to score some pretty sweet (and free!) seats from a friend of his: down in the 200-level, just a short distance into left field! A few foul balls came in our general direction—one even landing a few seats away from me! (Dad, did you pass that luck onto me, too?) Lots of Phillies fans were in attendance, not to mention one or two really drunk party girls in front of us.

The second inning was utterly beautiful, putting the Nats ahead by a score of 4-1 on a spectacular 3-run homer, though the Phils came back in the 7th to make it a 4-3 game (never have I been more grateful for a 7th Inning Stretch, just to get out of that rotation). Cordero gave up one run in the top of the 9th to tie the score, and I left RFK with a sinking feeling that the Phils would take the game. I was quite stunned to turn the TV on when I got home to find it already the 11th inning and still tied! I missed the game-winning sacrifice fly by Lopez in the 13th, but I was nevertheless grateful.

But getting back to this weekend's football game at Penn State, it's the annual Blue/White spring scrimmage, where the first squad plays the second . . . so you know what that means? It means Penn State's gonna win on Saturday! :)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home